Guidelines for Submission
The material chosen for Kaleidoscope challenges and overcomes stereotypical, patronizing, and sentimental attitudes about disability. We accept the work of writers with and without disabilities; however, the work of a writer without a disability must focus on some aspect of disability. The criteria for good writing apply: effective technique, thought-provoking subject matter, and in general, a mature grasp of the art of story-telling. Writers should avoid using offensive language and always put the person before the disability.
Kaleidoscope accepts electronic (website and email) submissions. Electronic submissions should be sent as an attachment when submitted both on the website and within an email. Please include complete information-full name, postal and email address and telephone number(s).
Articles relating to both literary and visual arts, interviews, or personal essay/memoir – 5,000 words maximum/two pieces maximum.
Short stories with a well-crafted plot and engaging characters – 5,000 words maximum each/two stories maximum.
Poems that have strong imagery, evocative language – five poems maximum.
Reviews that are substantive, timely, powerful works about publications in the field of disability and/or the arts. The writer’s opinion of the work being reviewed should be clear. The review should be literary work in its own right – 5,000 words maximum each/two reviews maximum.
Art of all media, from watercolor and charcoals to collage and sculpture; five to 10 works maximum. Art must be submitted as 72-150 dpi, RGB, jpeg files. The photos should have neutral background with the art as the main focus. Include caption information including title, dimensions, and medium.
- Considers unsolicited material
- Accepts simultaneous submissions
- Publishes previously published work — include credit information with submission
- Reserves right to minor editing without author’s approval; substantive editing with approval
- Submission should be attached to the email, typed, double-spaced, pages numbered, and with author’s name on each -page. Please submit your work electronically through the website or via email
- Payment is made upon publication and varies from $10 to $100.
- Payment to writers/artists who live outside the United States will be made in US dollars through PayPal. It is the responsibility of the writer/artist to set up a PayPal account to receive payment.
- Copyright reverts to author upon publication. Email email@example.com with additional questions.
United Disability Services, 701 S. Main St., Akron, OH 44311-1019