Individuals are referred to Community Employment Services by Opportunities for Ohioan with Disabilities (OOD) or their County Board of Developmental Disabilities. If an individual is not already receiving services from one of these agencies, he/she will need to contact them to apply for services.
Go to www.ood.ohio.gov for information on how to apply for OOD services. Individuals can also contact UDS Community Employment Services at 330-762-9755 to obtain contact information for local OOD office or County DD Board. Individuals referred by these agencies pay no fee to receive Community Employment Services at UDS.
- Career Exploration assists individuals in exploring specific employment options, including job shadowing, informational interviews, identification of vocational interests and abilities, and labor market research.
- Community-Based Assessment evaluates an individual’s job readiness and provides information on an individual’s aptitudes, abilities, behaviors and preferences to determine if a specific employment opportunity is an appropriate match.
- Travel Training reaches individuals how to travel independently on public transportation or in the community in her/her own vehicle.
- Summer Youth services are group-based services to teach students and youth with disabilities vocational skills and appropriate work behaviors.
- Work Adjustment Training assists individuals in preparing for employment by improving their job readiness and targeting specific work behaviors that need to be addressed.
- Job Seeking Skills Training helps individuals learn how to successfully identify and respond to potential job opportunities.
- Job Development services prepare and assist individuals to contact businesses, apply and interview with employers and secure employment.
- On-the-Job Supports assists individuals who are employed, such as instruction to learn job tasks, development of natural support and help with adjusting to the work environment.
Having a disability is not a barrier to an individual obtaining and maintaining meaningful employment. Community Employment Services helps individuals with a variety of skills and ability levels reach their employment goals. Services to both adults and students transitioning to work are individualized based on personal preferences, interests, needs and strengths.
Our experienced team of employment specialist and trainers assist individuals with:
- Identifying interests and abilities related to corresponding vocational goals.
- Developing the job seeking tools and/or skills needed to apply, interview and obtain employment.
- Identifying job leads and contacting employer on an individual’s behalf and helping job seekers to the same within their abilities.
- Maintaining employment by providing on-the job supports.